1954.153 | Fork
John Barry (c. 1815 - 1867)
About 1850, 19th century
1.8 x 14.5 cm
Gift of William Herbert DeVeber Estate, 1954
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Keys to History
During the years 1839 to1841, John Barry was in partnership with John Alexander. For many years afterward, however, he conducted a jewellery and silversmith business of his own, first on Germain Street and finally on King Street. Barry died in Chicopee, Massachusetts, in 1867.
Source : Out of Ireland [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)
An 1849 advertisement stated that all silver manufactured by the subscriber, John Barry, would be engraved free of charge.
Saint John was not alone in possessing successful silversmiths and jewellers; Fredericton, Miramichi and the north shore were also notable centres of the trade.
On December 14, 1849, the Weekly Chronicle advertised a change of address for John Barry to Germain St., Saint John.
In 1851, it was announced that John Barry had employed David West, a silversmith from Liverpool, England.