1953.62 | Ferry, Ludlow, in Harbour, Saint John, New Brunswick
Ferry, Ludlow, in Harbour, Saint John, New Brunswick
Isaac Erb & Son
About 1905, 20th century
Silver print mounted on card
Gift of the Walter Woodworth White Estate, 1953
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Keys to History
By the end of the 19th century, the traditional workhorses of the New Brunswick economy - namely, shipbuilding and lumbering - were struggling to survive. The construction of the harbour ferry, Ludlow, in 1904-1905 marked the end of an era. Fewer and fewer ships were being built in the shipyards of Saint John. Another sign of the downturn of the economy: regional banking institutions were closing in the wake of competition from larger banks headquartered in Quebec and Ontario. With local businessmen being threatened by outside interests and takeovers becoming the norm, capital was bleeding out of the province.
The years following 1904 saw unprecedented labour unrest, the product of class conflicts stemming from the rise of modern industrial capitalism.
The Ludlow is thought to be the first steel-hulled ferry constructed in the Maritimes.
The Ludlow was one of numerous vessels used in the ferry service that operated for many years between the city centre and the west side of Saint John.
Construction of the Ludlow was well under way in Saint John harbour in 1904. The ferry was launched the next summer.
The Ludlow took its name from the first mayor of the city of Saint John, Gabriel George Ludlow (1736-1808).