1950.121 | Eleanor
(Attributed to / Attribué à) Francis Hustwick, (1
After 1854, 19th century
78 x 122 cm
Gift of Henrietta A. Bogart
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Keys to History
The ship Eleanor, 1062 tons, was built in 1854 at Quaco, New Brunswick. It has been estimated that the average life span for a 19th century New Brunswick sailing vessel was between twelve and fourteen years. During that time a single vessel could have many owners and uses and if lucky, like the Eleanor, could sail for upwards of thirty years.
The Eleanor was sold to Robert Rankin, Liverpool, in 1856, transferred to Belfast in 1869, registered at Belfast and owned by Daniel Dixon in 1872, and finally, after a long career, abandoned in the North Atlantic in 1880.
Source : The Golden Age of Sail [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)
The magnificent sails and the crisp appearance of the hull in the portrait highlight the client's pride of ownership rather than the ravages of reality on the high seas.
While the portrait shows the Eleanor under full sail, it is unlikely that a vessel so close to entering port would be carrying quite so much sail.
As late as 1986, the artist Francis Hustwick was unknown to researchers and historians.
This ship portrait, formerly attributed to John Hughes, has more recently been credited to British artist Francis Hustwick (1797-1865).