1943.98 | Grand Falls, New Brunswick
Grand Falls, New Brunswick
John Christopher Miles, 1832-1911
1890, 19th century
106.7 x 139.7 cm
New Brunswick Museum
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Keys to History
By the early 20th century, the era of the lumberjack was coming to a close. Lumber camps and log drives continued to exist for a few decades, and as late as the 1970s, log booms were seen moving down the Saint John River. As the 1900s progressed, however, the railway, chain saw, tractor, truck and mechanical harvester highly mechanized the forest industry. The mills themselves converted to gasoline engines in the 1920s and 1930s, and then to electrical power in the 1940s and 1950s. Forestry became an all-season operation.
The forest industry of the 19th century inspired New Brunswick's great shipping and shipbuilding industries and along with them fuelled the economic engines of the nation for over a century. Its legacy can still be seen in the modern-day pulp and paper and lumber industries. Like the romance of the age of sail, the nostalgia of simpler times in the lumber camp is all that remains of this vital industry.
In an age when black and white photographs were very popular, Miles marketed black and white paintings that mimicked the qualities of photographs.
At one time, John Christopher Miles worked in a carriage factory painting decorative details.
Along with his son, Frederick H. C. Miles, J. C. Miles operated the Saint John Academy of Art from 1884 to 1896.
The artist John Christopher Miles founded the precursor to the Saint John Art Club in 1878.