14085 | Hilyard Bros. Mill
Hilyard Bros. Mill
1870-1900, 19th century
121 x 105 cm
Gift of Cecelia Jessie Hilyard
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Keys to History
The Hilyard Brothers Mill was a large Saint John operation that exported most of its products abroad. This is a reproduction of a banner dating from the late 19th century and, it is debatable whether it was more of a company or union object to be paraded through city streets. Saint John workmen had a strong marching tradition dating back to the 1840s, but this alternated between identification with their employers and militant unionism. This dichotomy was sustained until international locals established a strong hold during the early 20th century.
Source : All in a Day's Work: Lumbering in New Brunswick [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)
The banner is made of red and cream sateen fabric with a gold fringe.
The Hilyard Brothers Mill was located on Saint John's busy harbour among several other mills and shipyards.
The original banner may have been carried in Saint John's first ever Labour Day Parade, on September 3, 1894.
The Hilyard family was made up of prominent 19th century shipbuilders, shop owners and mill operators in Saint John.